Services available to faculty, librarians and staff who are travelling abroad for work purposes.
International SOS Services for U of T Faculty, Librarians & Staff
U of T has partnered with International SOS to provide a range of services for the university’s international travelers who are travelling abroad for work purposes. Services available to faculty, librarians and staff include:
- Trip logistics and helpful pre-departure information,
- Medical and mental health support,
- Assistance in the event of an emergency like a natural disaster or security incident.
For more information on International SOS services for U of T students visit the Safety Abroad website.
In addition to signing up for International SOS we advise you carefully review the following before your departure:
- Government of Canada travel advisories – the authoritative source on which U of T bases its guidance on travel,
- Benefits you are eligible for under the Green Shield Canada plan,
- Information related to emergency medical and quarantine benefits on the Green Shield Canada Support Centre prior to work-related travel.
How to register for services
Before your trip, we encourage you to register for International SOS via the U of T Portal. U of T’s membership number is 27ACAS808982.
At the portal, you can also:
- Download the International SOS Assistance App on your smartphone for easy access to information and services.
- Register with My Trips to share your travel itineraries prior to travel. My Trips makes it easier to connect with U of T in the event of an incident or emergency.
Registering will make it faster and easier to get help in case something goes wrong during your trip. For example, if you need a doctor, dentist or mental health professional in the location you are visiting, International SOS can help refer you. If there is a natural disaster like a tornado or an earthquake, or security incident such as armed conflict or protests, International SOS can support extraction logistics to get you out as quickly as safely as possible. If you lose your passport or need help finding a safe place to stay, International SOS can assist.
International SOS assistance centre
For more information about International SOS services, you can call the assistance centre at +1 215-942-8478 to:
- Access general health, safety and security information on any region of the world (as a staff or faculty member travelling for work-related purposes);
- Connect to a network of health and security professionals operating 24 hours a day, 365 days a year;
- Get advice from a doctor, nurse, therapist, or risk management professional directly over the phone before or during your trip;
- Get a referral to a local doctor, dentist or other medical professional near the location you are in;
- Access emotional and mental health support while abroad;
- Obtain emergency support and response for urgent situations around the world.
Still have questions?
If you still have questions about International SOS services, please consult the International SOS Membership Overview E-Guide. If you have further questions or require assistance, please visit the HR Service Centre to submit a request for help.
International SOS is an external third-party platform that the university has contracted with to provide support to you in the event of an emergency or incident during a university-related work activity abroad. When you sign up for International SOS, you provide your name and contact information. You may also choose to upload information related to your travel into International SOS, including the type of activity, flight or other transportation information, and accommodation information. This information is collected by International SOS on behalf of the university, pursuant to section 2(14) of the University of Toronto Act, 1971, and is necessary for the university to protect the health and safety of its faculty and staff while they participate in work-related activities abroad. The university will only access your International SOS information in the event of an emergency.
Additionally, the university is pleased to offer faculty and staff the option to use the International SOS 24/7 Emergency Service. The 24/7 Emergency Service is a hotline that you can call in the event of an emergency – for example, an injury, health issue, loss of passport, etc. Information that you provide through use of the 24/7 Emergency Service will only be shared with the university in the event of an emergency and/or in instances where the university is required to reimburse International SOS for services rendered to you.
If you have any questions about International SOS services for faculty and staff, please submit a ticket to the HR Service Centre.